The Dream Cast

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexandra
      Participant

I wonder if other people are like me. I seem to have a cast to my dreams, there are usually a few people who regularly appear in my dreams. Of course its normal to dream about our closest friends and family but I have people I know who I see less often, but for a period will feature regularly. Sometimes they hang around for years or other times, they will be on the payroll for a few months and then they disappear. And then there are people such as my children who in fact I don’t dream about all that often. I always find this interesting, looking to work out what their qualities are, what part of me they represent. The ones who stay for years, for instance one of my main musical heroes I have dreamt about almost weekly for many years. Sometimes he goes away for a couple of months but then he will reappear, I feel sure he is a big part of my creative animus, I often dream about his wife too, his counterpart. Recently I would dream about him needing my help in some way while she would be waiting n the wings. I knew I was neglecting my creative work, my poor creative animus, neglected and unsure how to write his songs, and his wife – the loyal wife and the mother, the other side of me, who has to wait for the right time. The creative impulse is a steady thing in my life, it feels as though my dreaming mind feels comfortable using this figure as a vehicle hence his permanence, yet other feelings I guess come and go so a rotating cast is needed. Does this happen to other people?

I love this and I’m looking forward to everyone’s thoughts.

Technical note: if you want to receive notice by email whenever anyone replies to a subject, check that box below. It only works by subject, so you do need to check that box for each subject you’re enjoying. (Technically I think you have to reply before you can click the box too.) Alternatively, visit often!

Cíntia
      Participant

How curious! I’ve got my own cast too… Some youtubers who give me advice – before taking Jane’s course I really thought they were telling me the right thing to do at the time – their presence felt so real!; boyfriends from the past… Some time ago one of them killed himself right in front of me! Another one often comes as a musician. Friends (and even “enemies”) from the past… Characters from the Merlin series (unfortunetelly they’ve stopped coming for a while, but they’re great!). I like that you dream not only about the male musical hero, but also about his wife. It is sweet to have your creative side portrayed as a couple. As if the animus needs his female counterpart to do his work properly…

Marion Khoshuei
      Participant

This is a very thought provoking question and I’ve been thinking about it a lot. Sure, people I know do make occasional appearances, and a handful of them have made more than one appearance, but even when I have a repeating theme happening, the ‘actors’ are different each time. I’m almost as likely to see someone I’ve seen once or twice on the telly or irl. Quite often animals of some sort feature strongly, but again, rarely do they make repeat appearances. I do recognise certain characters that make fairly frequent appearances, but they are ‘played’ by different people/animals almost every time.

Alexandra
        Participant

That’s so interesting Marion, are you dreaming about unknown people a lot then?

Marion Khoshuei
          Participant

Hi, Alexandra, It depends what you mean by a lot. I don’t dream much at all anyway, so the short answer is no. The most frequent “character” in my dreams is just a voice by my shoulder, showing me things and asking me questions. Is he/she/it people? If so then the answer may be yes.

Caroline
      Participant

A hero needing help from you? Curious angle. Who’s a hero in your awake world to you?

Um.. dream cast…. cor… I’ve no idea. Lots of nazi’s. Um… lots of appearance of a little girl. Lots of cats. I’ve never pondered it. Standby…

Alexandra
        Participant

Well the hero I suppose is that idealised, supposedly infallible, high achieving, almost supernatural person. Because he is an aspect of me though of course he isn’t allways like that in dreams though he has that potential. So the part of me that can do anything, in my case, can create and be as prolific as my hero, will sometimes want to tell me he is struggling and ask for help. In real life the awake world, of course he is just a man, but in my imagination he is everything!

I were dreaming about Nazis and little girls a lot I might want to ponder on that, a lot! I also dream of cats a lot, for me I feel it relates to the female. Take a look at what happening to your cats in your dreams.

Caroline
      Participant

I like to do that thing in the course, you know, the one about the 3 characteristics and their opposites. So if the hero is a concept, ok. But if it was a person, what are his characteristics and his opposites? Same with the kindly wife? Do that thing, just out of curiosity…

One thing i learned from the course abd i have to remind myself is when i awake from a dream, i automatically know the message, i know the basic thing about it. So i write it off cos i pretty much know. But when i do the exercises i forget that theres so much i don’t know until i really explore it. Things i come across that i think cor, i didn’t know i thought that…. but i do.

Nazis basically represent common sense, a rigid routine life. One im always running from . Cats are my familiar, my core being and are always found in dusty rooms long forgotten.. often they are cats from my lifetime. I choose to feel they are visitations from cats i loved. Just a hello from them in the ither wotld.

Forgive typos. Small phone and need to cut my typing fingernail

Alexandra
      Participant

Well, he is a person. One i have admired since i was 11.

I woukd say he is

Mystic, intelligent, prolific. His opposites would be boring, stupid, appathetic

His wife would be loyal, beautiful, intelligent. Her opposites woukd be selfish, ugly, stupid.

Thats lovely that your cats come to see you x

Viewing 6 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.