Mutual Dreaming

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • Author
      Alexandra
      Participant

Hello everyone, I wonder if any of you have ever experienced this? My son was 10 yesterday and last night we had a very random and specific shared dream detail. We have previously had 2 similar dreams on the same night to each other but this one was more pronounced. One occasion previously he had a very detailed dream where he was a boy in the past in another country running from authority. He described how he looked (different to his real self) dark curly hair and dungarees. That night I also dreamed of a man who was dressed from the fifties with dark curly hair and dungarees, the similarity was striking. It was like it was the same carachter but 20 years apart, his dream was set in the war.

He told me his dream this morning when he climbed into my bed and it all centred around a man in the street who had this very special pink soap that he wanted, it was super hero soap and he was really attracted to it. The man gave it to him.

I had a very long and protracted dream that began with my calling the same son to me in a park, I saw there was a family of foxes and I wanted him to see them as he loves them so much. Other things then happened and he wasn’t in the dream for the rest of the story. Later I was on a country road and Phillip Scofield (tv presenter) was stopping cars to do a drug driving test on the drivers. I felt unsure in the dream if I would pass even though I was clean, the test involved eating a slice of this yellow block he was cutting and offering out. I ate it, it was very strongly scented of lemons and I realised it was soap. The test had been a trick just to get people to eat soap.

Its quite a random scenario for a dream to be offered soap in the street by a man, which essentially the part where our dreams seem to have crossed over.

I wonder how people understand these instances? If the dream had been about some mutual experience of the day or common feeling in the home this would make sense, but it is so specific in its symbolism. I do believe that dreams come from inside of us, but I believe that there are ways that they also come from outside of us, that there are collective potentials to dreaming that can be shared. How I am not sure, I just know that I love that my son and I have this amazing bond. It feels as though I called him into my dream somehow?!

Have you experienced anything similar?

This is a wonderful experience and question, Alexandra, and I’m so looking forward to hearing other people’s experiences and thoughts on this one.

Dream Academy students: this is YOUR space (not mine, apart from my weekly posts to let you know when new blogs and podcasts have been published). Let’s hear your thoughts!

Rioghnach Cantwell
      Participant

I haven’t experienced mutual dreams but I’m just wondering if those types of dreams could be touching into unconscious thoughts, perceptions, expectations, beliefs in the relationship between two people and their inner relationship with themselves. Maybe things both are picking up about the other or themselves at an unconscious level.

Alexandra
      Participant

Both my son and I had a suggestion yesterday, though at the time there was no chaos or talk around the virus. Buying soap, using soap, trying to get soap and being tested is now a current constant! I wonder if we were both tapping into something there. Jane, I would be interested to hear your view on this unusual event.

Hello Alexandra and Rioghnach,

Thank you for your thoughts. I’m responding because Alexandra has specifically asked me to – and I do love this intriguing subject – though I’d like to dedicate the entire forum space solely and souly to all students and graduates, apart from my occasional posts to let everyone know about new blogs and podcasts. I know people are being very slow to express in the space, but I’m hoping! I’d like to see total freedom of discussion, unhindered by anyone’s concerns about how I might comment. (I had considered creating a private Facebook page instead of this custom-built one, but not everyone is on Facebook. I know this means people have to login to see what’s happening, but … let’s see!)

Nevertheless, as I said, I do love this subject!

Back to soap!

My general stance is the same as yours, Rioghnach. When such dreams are deeply explored, the mutual unconscious connection is usually revealed. Alexandra, your son had this dream on the eve of his birthday, and a significant birthday at that, double figures! You would have both been preoccupied at some level with the birthday. Here’s a boy about to become a superhero, a 10 year old! Or perhaps he’s ready to acknowledge and celebrate his heroic first ten years. I’m just offering this as one of many possible interpretations.

In your dream, Alexandra, I get the feeling of soap as in dramas, soapies. What do you connect with Philip Scholfield? How does he connect with ‘coming clean’ or soapie drama? What does eating soap mean to you? (“Wash out your mouth with soap?”)

Have you run both dreams through the step-by-step process?

You have given your son such a gift in listening to his dreams and sharing yours, and this process of honouring your dreams must draw you both closer on every level, consciously and unconsciously. I wouldn’t be at all surprised to learn that you both process similar experiences at a very deep level.

At the same time, we do on rare occasions ‘tune into’ things around us while we sleep, and it’s possible that you both did this. Coronavirus was active in the world at the time of your dreams, though we hadn’t got to the ‘wash your hands – and mouth’ level back then. Might it have come up on the news, might you have both been processing how to stay clean and healthy?

Some random thoughts!

Emma Kirby
      Participant

I’m new on this forum, so hello to everyone reading this! I still don’t know exactly how to find my way around, but I just have to reply to this superinteresting subject about mutual dreams! I have experienced this kind of dream with my sister. It was about 10 years ago that I randomly mentioned to her a recurring nightmare that I used to have a couple of years before that period in time and she asked me surprised: “Do you also have that nightmare?” When we talked about the details and the feelings in the dream, they were exactly the same! We were more than surprised about that. It was about our childhood home, but the situation combined with the feeling wasn’t anything that we had experienced in real life (the feeling was pure fear and panic). As I mentioned I had stopped having this nightmare a couple of years before I told her, but she was still experiencing it. Now when I know a bit more about dream analysis, I might be able to finally figure out what it was about.

Viewing 5 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.